Tuesday, May 1, 2012

There seem to be gypsies playing trombone in my soul?

Hey! May Day! A giant nexus of socio-cultural spring traditions, plus some labor stuff--huzzah! Now, my plans do not (as of now) include dancing merrily with ribbons around a symbolic pole (I kind of tend to avoid most fertility-type rites, anyway), so instead I'm constructing a small mental(/virtual) checkpoint.

Why today can be construed as good:

  • Sunny happy weather (okay, I generally prefer overcast days, and okay it's quite warm for my taste but it could be a whole hell of a sight worse)
  • I went to Yogalates yesterday (what? I know! I feel like a better person for it) and did not wake up in excruciating pain today (yay stretching)
  • I am eating delicious Greek yogurt (raspberry + some honey)
  • I have amazing friends (literally, I am in amazement of stupefying, epic proportions when I think about how good they are to me and how lucky the world as a whole is to have them around)
  • I have three days of classes left in my undergrad career
Biggest project on the horizon for finals week also happens to be the one most likely to be relevant to my life after finals week: my capstone poetry portfolio. We are being forced by the will of our esteemed professor (not being sarcastic here, Laura Mullen is great) to not only compile a final portfolio, but actually send the bastard thing out into the world, i.e., submit to a journal. So even though I've already done the bulk of the creative work for the portfolio (okay, there will be some tweaks and revisions that will probably drive me crazy in the end), it will almost certainly cause me the most mental anguish out of all of my finals. Better start getting those rejection slips now, so that by the time I move to a real city, I have enough to make a wall hanging.

Actually, I'm pretty excited about it.

Went to Festival International in Lafayette this weekend, and though we only got to be out there for a relatively few hours and only saw two bands play, I had a fantastic time. Slavic Soul Party is pretty much my new favorite music thing in the world. I might have guessed that a crazy Balkan-funk brass line would rock my world, but now I know for sure that that is the case. I mean, I couldn't help but dance. Literally. I was psycho-physically swayed by the music, and my face hurt from smiling so much. I am getting them to play at my hypothetical wedding.

Anyway, I'm going to wrap this post up with what I could not stop myself from repeating all that evening (it's great when you can end two blogposts in a row like this):

"I'm so happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment