Sunday, May 27, 2012

Heil Consumerism!

I am now (almost) employed! Beating the odds!

Yeah, it's just another job as a server, and probably less lucrative than my last one at that, but starting Monday Sunday(/today), I will have (relatively) steady money coming in again, and I am really excited. Because as much as I believe that "things" don't make you a better person or define who you are, I sure do love nice things. My bank account has managed to coordinate nicely with my college career, i.e., they both ran out at the same time, so for the last little bit the budget's been tight, as in, frayed-shoestring type tight. The delightful boon of my graduation money, therefore, is going towards keeping a roof over my head, instead of towards all the fun stuff it was meant for. But as I'm writing my rent check and paying off my credit card bill, I'm also making a list of things I want to blow my money on to spoil myself once I have disposable income again.

(Hypothetical) Treat Yo Self:



-Massage (+ Pedicure. Also probably manicure)

http://www.stockvault.net/photo/117545/spa-doll
I am in love with this amazingly creepy stock image.

I hurt. And I am weary. Admittedly, I haven't been doing that much of physical activity in the last few days (hey, I've been sick), but immediately before that I was doing really well with the whole fitness and staying active thing, and before that I was hauling my flesh bag around a massive campus for a few years. Also, something weird has been going on with my lower back lately. Plus, I promised my feet a pedicure after Italy. Turns out I'm a liar (also I don't really talk to my feet). Time to fix that. 

-Shoes

I need. More. Shoes.
Ok, not that many.

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a shoe fanatic. Nor do I enjoy in any way shopping for shoes. In fact, nothing makes me more irritable more quickly. But I am in dire need of a small but reliable assortment of practical and nice-looking footwear. I am a grown-ass woman now, and I need me some heels (tiny ones, I have god-awful balance). And I would kill (or at least put down a chunk of change) for some nice Dr. Martens.

-Yoga Pants

So I've been doing the Yogalates thing. Turns out plankjacks and one-armed frog push-ups in a heated (!) room make you sweat a lot. I mean a lot. And it's so much worse if you don't have some semblance of "correct" exercise clothing, which, being woefully underequipped for any fit lifestyle, I do not. And while I would also like some nice swanky exercise shorts and sports tops, yoga pants are exceedingly comfy. And they have the wonderful tendency to boost a lady's opinion of her own derriere.

-Nice Lingerie

While on the subject of clothing-type-things, I would like to yearn for some new undergarments. And by "nice lingerie" I do not mean "slutty" or "uncomfortable ribbons and lace." I have in mind something that is comfortable but that I know still looks cute even under probably grungy clothing. And maybe even--but let's not get too crazy here--matching. I like to keep in mind a piece of family wisdom...the wording is variable, but it has something to do with always wearing presentable underwear in case you get hit by a car. It made sense at the time. Anyway, it's pretty embarrassing to get caught out looking like a pathetic orphan-child with raggedy undies when trying on clothes with friends or whatever. I am a presentable lady. Or something.

-New Shower Curtain

The shower curtain currently hanging in my bathroom is at this point probably more mildew-cleaning spray than the original PVC.

The mildew's winning.
I was thinking something more whimsical than black mold, maybe a map of the London Underground? While we're at it, I'd like a new bathmat and set of nice fluffy towels in brick-red. Oh hell, just redo the whole room.

-----------------------------------

OKAY, I'm getting slightly horrified/disgusted at my perky justifications for why I need to consume new, ever more expensive "better" products. (That, however, does not negate my desire for the items on the above list. I do love my shiny things.) I have always been inclined to perpetually make lists, and it is ever so delightful when the items on it are concrete and can oh-so-easily be added to Amazon. However, I am less so in the habit of showing people those lists, as that tends to project less-than-desirable character traits around the 14th "I WANT THIS" list. (Exception: If I think the audience is actually going to get me the products on said list. My letters to Santa were brusque and itemized.) So, ending this. And would like to note that my attempt to fool around with free stock images was less than stellar, but hilarious for me. Really the choices are abominable, and I am lazy.

Also, just made another submission to another journal, so already this summer has been more productive than I could (based on past summers) reasonably expect! Now I can go back to reading Anna Karenina, which is the best procrastination strategy ever. "How could I be doing something irresponsible? I'm reading Tolstoy."



2 comments:

  1. I totally own that second pair of Dr. Marten's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I thought that was indeed the case but I wasn't sure. Shoe envy.

      Delete