Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Untranslatable

Finally have circled around to another day off. Still haven't decided how to use it, but the rain is (again) sending out "nap!" signals I'm going to have to continually resist. There goes my intention for a run, I suppose. I believe I'm experiencing what is in Estonian "viistima: the feeling of slightly laziness, can't be bother by anything. Don't want to work nor going anywhere. (sic)"

Identified this useful emotional descriptor after reading a Salon article on a cross-lingual map of human emotions put together by Pei-Ying Lin that includes labels for some of those titchy, unidentifiable or in-between feelings for which we don't always have words in English. It's part of his Unspeakableness project, "An intervention of language evolution and human communication." It's a delightful find really-- a kind of moulding/picking throuhg of launguages to more accurately depict human...ness. Particularly like Part 4 of the project, "Personalised Language." He's filmed multilinguals doing monologues in kind of an extreme cross-lingual idiolect, where they translate a piece (dealing with a particular emotion) using all of their available languages, jumping around word by word. I'm kind of in love with/identify strongly with the Icelandic girl (Robyn Peters, though her real name sounds unspellable for me) who does the first monologue, on love...the sound of it all is unspeakably (ha) gorgeous, and her explanation for why she translated the way she did resonates with my own translation organ and makes me want to give her a big ol' hug.

Maybe then I'll do some translation work as my next project. Huh, it's very strange though. After having no ideas for anything to do, I suddenly just had a lot--to the point of a mental log jam. Words are hard to sort and select right now, and I have the beginnings of a headache. Unfortunate.

Maybe I'll go snack on some of the fancy cheese on which I spent an obscene amount of money yesterday. What's the emotional offshoot of decadence? Something related to gluttony, evelry, and pleasure I'm sure. With a twinge of incompleteness to make sure the spires keep climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment